Sunday 24 May 2015

J.O.B. – Just On Board



- BY NEHA

I have recently made a bold and daring move in life in order to better my career prospects. In my home country, I was pretty much “stuck” professionally. While most other aspects of my life were moving along well there (lovely home, doting family, annoying yet adorable brother, awesome friends and by & large a comfortable existence), I was pretty dissatisfied with how my career was shaping up. This was primarily due to some overtly emotional and not well thought-out decisions I had taken a couple of years ago. Had I been patient and perseverant, my work could have catapulted me to great heights, because I had a lot of things working in my favor. However, I take full responsibility for my actions.

For a while, I held factors and other people responsible for my career downturn, but gradually I realized that I am where I am because of the decisions I took. No one put a noose around my neck or twisted my arm into doing anything. And the day I took complete responsibility and accountability for my career and stopped lamenting the externalities that were beyond my control, I realized that I needed to shake things up in my life if I wish to get back on track.

My outlook towards my current ‘new’ job (in case you were wondering how the title relates to the actual content of the post - I just came on board my current company) in a foreign country, including my daily conduct at work, my interactions with my colleagues and my general mood in office, are vastly different from how I was in my previous organization. I no longer complain about the stuff I do not like or bitch about the colleagues who aren’t that nice to me. I have made a conscious decision to deliberately look out for things that I absolutely love at my workplace. And you know what – the moment I changed how I feel about my work, my working environment started reflecting my changed thought patterns. I now enjoy coming to work every day. My Manager and colleagues are all warm, friendly and helpful. I love my personal cabin, my workstation, the ‘Starbucks’ coffee in office and even the long commute to work (thanks to the picturesque landscape here). Gratitude has become my way of life now, owing to the gazillions of times people say ‘thank you’ here. Coming from a country where receiving thanks for your ‘job’ is not commonplace (because you are being paid for it!), hearing my Supervisors thank me for every task I complete makes me feel acknowledged.

I know this may sound like flaky mumbo-jumbo but it worked for me and continues to. One of my favorite writers/bloggers, Melody Fletcher, says, “Your working environment does not determine how you feel about your job. How you feel about your job determines your work environment.” I honestly feel that she nailed this one bang-on. Give it a try. It takes a tad bit of effort initially, especially if you are used to grumbling and whining about your job. However, if you keep at it and focus on aspects about your job that you appreciate, you will feel a whole lot differently about your work.

It is easy to find fault in others and engage in nitpicking. For some strange reason, many people have grown accustomed to doing so at their workplace. Most of us think that we are working with a bunch of nincompoops, who for some unfair reason are being paid more than us. However, we fail to realize that our perception of others is essentially “OUR” perception only. Some of us have an exaggerated opinion of our capabilities but a depleted sense of other’s.

Having a mind of your own and using it is great. However, what is greater is, having an opinion of your own, while at the same time respecting someone else’s opinion (which may be completely different from yours), without feeling the need to justify your opinion or convince the other person to adopt your opinion. This kind of an attitude goes a long way in helping you build and maintain amicable ties with all and sundry.

Given that a vast majority of us spend most of our waking hours working in a job, it makes perfect sense to actually start enjoying what we do. As hard as it may seem to some people to come up with reasons they like their workplace, there will always-always be something in your office that you are pleased about and have either taken for granted or consider it as no big deal (remember the front office lady who greets you with the most wonderful smile every morning!).
  

No comments:

Post a Comment