Sunday 15 March 2015

To Dadaji with Love


- BY NEHA

Losing a loved one is an emotionally tormenting experience. Every individual has his or her own way of dealing with this loss. Some choose to stay aloof; some prefer to talk about their feelings; while some others simply put on a brave front just for the sake of family and friends. My family and me are currently dealing with the sudden demise of my grandfather. This blog post is a eulogy to the most inspirational, stoic and commendable man I have ever known.

I honestly do not know how and where to begin. My grandfather had touched so many lives in a myriad ways, that no amount of words can actually do justice to his magnanimity and benevolence. I am the only grandchild to have lived with him for the longest period of time. I have said this to Mom time and again that I wish I were more like Dadaji in so many respects. I absolutely admired his ability to stay calm and composed in trying situations. His stamina and vitality, even at an advanced age, were simply outstanding. Dadaji had the great quality of adjusting and adapting to every situation, without complaining. His simplicity and placidity, something my generation knows very little of, was heartwarming.

His thinking and outlook towards life was always miles ahead of his generation. He happily allowed all his children to pursue their lives in whatever manner they chose, even if it took most of them to lands far far away. Dadaji was a self-made man, who till his very last day, lived with great dignity and pride.

My grandfather was perhaps the most wonderful husband I have ever come across. His love for my Grandmother, though subtle and understated, was exemplary. I will consider myself extremely fortunate if I were to settle down with a man who could love me even half as much as Dadaji loved Dadimaa.

I will never forget the playful smile on his face while he listened to Dadimaa reprimand him for being forgetful or for taking a generous helping of desserts. I even miss his spamming my WhatsApp with forwarded messages and jokes everyday.

Death is a well-known fact of life, something nobody can escape. We all know that all of us are here on this planet for a finite amount of time, yet when someone we love departs, it is unbelievably painful to say goodbye.

I am sure everyone who has known my Dadaji will agree that he will be sorely missed. Celebrations and festivities will never be the same again without him. His demise has left a permanent void in my life which I will have to learn to embrace and seek comfort in knowing that my Grandfather lived a long, healthy and fulfilled life, with his head held high.

Thank you God for blessing me with the most remarkable granddad.  Dadaji, I will always be proud to be your granddaughter.


I am sure wherever Dadaji is, he is reading this and saying, “Kamli Kudi!”

No comments:

Post a Comment